Design and Immersion of artificial reefs to restore the Cystoseira habitats
The shallow littoral zone, between 3 and 15 metres deep is extremely vulnerable and heavily impacted by human activity: alterations, usage (fishing) or pollution. The main objective of this project is to restore the sea beds where sea grasses have been damaged by these activities.
This project involves the design of artificial reefs which support Cystoseira, in order to create shallow water habitats between 3 and 15 metres deep to restore the particularly rich habitat of the Mediterranean: the Cystoseira forests.
The different phases of the project are:
- The design of light modular reefs tested in wave channels to evaluate their hydrodynamic resistance.
- The immersion of reefs in two pilot zones (Fishing areas of Cap Roux, Var, and the Principality of Monaco).
- The transplantation of Cystoseira: Cystoseira are fixed on the upper plate of each module.
- Monitoring of the colonisation of the reefs and assessment of their effectiveness as a new habitat.
The ECOMERS laboratory is recognised internationally for its expertise in ecological functioning, the trophic role, the nursery function and the transplantation of Cystoseira forests.
- Porteur du projet
- ECOMERS - Univerisité de Nice
- Partenaires industriels
- ACRI In, Neptune Environnement
- Partenaires recherche
- 260 K€
- Cofinanceurs publics
- Agence de l’eau Rhône Méditerranée Corse
- Année de labellisation
- Année de cofinancement