Excellence in observational and modelling synergy and in the evaluation of the ecological state of the north western Mediterranean
The FOCEA project brings French Western Mediterranean laboratories together to study this topic.
Its purpose is to study the marine ecosystems through an integrated approach of observation and modelling in order to create the world’s best teams in marine environment observation and monitoring.
The project focuses on five goals:
- Creation of the FOCEA team – establishment of a world class team based on the Mediterranean coast and benefiting from the technological resources of marine research and to train the next generation of scientists.
- Establishment of clusters of sensors, a network of integrated data, development of a databank and of a service and analysis centre.
- Mathematical theories for the development of models integrating plankton levels (pico, micro, meso et macro) and higher levels (fish)
- Network of integrated data and the assimilation of this data into forecasting models – integration of sensor data and forecasting system merging assimilation and modelling
- Development of projects relating to the management issues of natural regional resources and carbon capture and storage.
- Porteur du projet
- Partenaires industriels
- Partenaires recherche
- Observatoire Océanologique de Banyuls, Ifremer, IRD, Observatoire Océanologique de Villefranche
- 2 740 K€
- Cofinanceurs publics
- Année de labellisation
- Année de cofinancement