|Project leader||Ecloseries Marines de Gravelines|
|Industrials partners||FMD, Ferme marine de Campo Moro, Les Poissons du Soleil, France Turbots, Sources de l'Avance, Pisciculture de Milin Nevez, Viviers de Sarrance|
|Research partners||SYSAAF, IFREMER, INRA, ANSES|
|Budget||2 423 K€|
|Year of labeling||2012 - Joint Certification by Pôles Mer Bretagne, Agrimip and Aquimer|
|Year of co-financing||2013|
For most diseases, vaccines are non-existent or of limited effectiveness, and the only means of control are prophylactics or medication. Selection of resistant groups appears to be a promising avenue to pursue. However, the implementation of such programmes is incompatible with the financial capacity of French SMEs since it involves raising each tested group (> 400) in separate pools in order to have the survival rate information.
For each of the four fish species in the French fish industry RESIST plans to validate the technical and economic feasibility of a new method of selection based on resistance to pathogens.
RESIST aims to produce the information necessary for the introduction of disease resistance in existing breeding programmes based on hypotheses tested in the ANR FLAVORES project and prepare these diagrams by answering the following questions:
RESIST proposes to validate within the four fish species of the French fish industry the technical and economic feasibility of a new method of selection for resistance to pathogens.
The aim of RESIST is to produce the information necessary for the introduction of disease resistance into existing breeding programs based on hypotheses tested in the ANR FLAVORES project and to prepare for the introduction of these schemes by answering the following questions:
- What is the heritability of resistance to major pathogens? What is the relationship between resistance to different pathogens and production attributes?
- What are the most appropriate methods to improve the genetic resistance of selected candidates in the context of current schemes using molecular pedigrees?
- How to prepare future selection schemes: in particular, how to use molecular information of individual candidates to assess their genetic value?
The project will also examine how to integrate this new genomic information in order to:
- Optimize the overall genetic progress based on business requirements
- Anticipate the adaptations required for associated genetic information management.