Ocean weather monitoring and forecasting – for deep sea commercial applications
France has been internationally recognized for 20 years in the field of operational and institutional space oceanography. The INFOCEAN DESK project makes use of this expertise by developing the operational capabilities needed to kick start the offshore commercial sector for French oceanography.
It revolves around three components:
- Industrial development of a forecasting platform and distribution of weather and oceanographic information products, configurable by region and by service
- Industrial development of operational environments for two upstream commercial services: offshore oil industry, and monitoring of the marine environment
- Scientific and operational validation of the integrated services chain.
The INFOCEAN DESK project aims to promote the development of oceanography services for mainstream commercial marine applications. The project supports the work of the Centre for the Study of Ocean Colour established in the PACA region and the establishment of the European Centre for ocean analysis and forecasting in the Midi-Pyrenees.
Now completed, the project has several benefits; it allowed the provision of weather and oceanographic information to the offshore oil industry and the provision of an environmental information service for fishing and natural and artificial aquaculture offshore.
- Porteur du projet
- Partenaires industriels
- ACRI ST, Meteo France, Mercator Ocean
- Partenaires recherche
- 752 K€
- Cofinanceurs publics
- FUI (Single Interministerial Fund) & PACA regional authorities
- Année de labellisation
- Année de cofinancement